Thank you for your interest in contributing to Ayuda’s work to provide direct legal, social and language access services to low-income immigrants in DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia. Volunteers’ valuable contributions have helped make a difference to our organization and to the clients we serve.
The following list contains information about some of our community volunteer positions. Please notify Ayuda’s Volunteer and Community Outreach Coordinator, Laura Catania, at firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any volunteer positions you would like to apply for. Send your resume, a brief description of your interest in volunteering, where you would like to volunteer and your weekly and weekend availability.
All volunteers are required to go through an orientation, create a volunteer profile in our database and track their hours volunteered.
- Volunteers attend community events across the DMV to represent Ayuda and disseminate information about our services.
- Most events take place on the weekend.
- Events are off-site.
- Spanish language skills sometimes required.
- Administrative volunteers work in-office (either in our Maryland, Virginia, or Takoma office locations) directly with our Immigration Legal, Domestic Violence/Family Law legal team, Social Services team, and/or sometimes with other programs.
- Tasks are related to filing, research, creating & running supply drives, doing outreach, some legal work, organization, and many more important tasks that our team members do not normally have the capacity to complete.
- Volunteers must be available during weekday work week hours.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
- Occasional opportunities are available to translate written documents for clients.
- Volunteers work with directly with the volunteer coordinator and the legal department that is requesting the translation of certain documents.
- Spanish and French are our most commonly needed languages.
- Volunteers that have weekday availability, a vehicle and are willing to drive in the greater northern Virginia area are encouraged to apply for our transportation volunteer position to help our clients get from their homes to our office to see their case manager and/or attorney. Inquire for more detailed information about this unique opportunity.
Special Skills Volunteering
- Those interested in contributing special skills to Ayuda such as graphic design, photography, translation to languages other than Spanish and French, videography and post-production editing are encouraged to do so; special projects can be created to help fill in gaps of organizational needs.
For more information, please contact our Volunteer & Community Outreach Coordinator, Laura Catania, Laura.Catania@ayuda.com.